Friday, October 14, 2011

Protesting and the economy

It's not that I am against protesting, it's just that it's not my style. Everyone keeps asking me if I'm going to "occupy wall street" and I just say "no". They all assume that's my style, but the truth is... I would rather spend my time trying to make change in other ways. I'm certainly not criticizing anyone who is into protesting - because the truth is, we need those people (perhaps even you) to do their thing and help make change in that way. I fully support (and encourage) the protesting, but I'm just not interested in being involved. I also look forward to a positive outcome from the protesting that can help us all... one that can hopefully make it even easier to make change in other ways.

This is really the first time that I've posted or even written anything about occupy wall street, that is how removed I've been. However, there is a very important connection that I have to all of this - I work at a co-op. This video says it all:
I really want point out the importance of supporting co-ops. I know sometimes you can find more or better deals at your local wh0le foods market and trader j0es... but your money is still going to big business. Vote with your dollar! Keep your money local!

And while we are watching videos, check out this one about visualizing a plenitude economy:
Everyone should watch this.

Also...

For those of you who are tech savvy and into apps, please check out this free app called climate counts - this app will help you chose wisely who you want to give your hard earned money to based on the environmental impact that the company has. Help fight climate change! Check out the climate count website here.

And on the DIY tip, I came across a few recipes for health and beauty products that I wanted to share. I haven't tried any yet, but I plan on needing more toothpaste soon and using the recipe shown. I'm also going to try the deodorant. I will let you know how it goes!


1 comment:

  1. Timely post about the DIY health and beauty products. A friend sent me this recipe last week which I've been meaning to forward to you (too busy protesting, haha) for DIY deodorant. She says it works awesomely.

    1/4 cup baking soda
    1/4 cup organic cornstarch
    3 heaping tablespoons organic coconut oil (can use a little more if needed)
    12 drops lavender oil or 1 or 2 drops tea tree oil

    Mix well and store in jar.

    ReplyDelete