Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I Scream

You scream, we all scream... but really it's more like polite begging in this house. "Please may we have some ice cream for dessert?" I don't often have ice cream laying around, even though there are a few ice cream containers that are recyclable with the paper, so the answer is often "no"... But not anymore.

Back at Christmas/Birthday time (they are the same time for me), my partner got me this bad baby. He even got it second hand (but in great condition) - it's perfect. However, our supply of local cream dried up somewhere around the same time that I received it, so it has only known a life of sitting in it's box in our back kitchen waiting patiently for me to acknowledge it's existence.

And yesterday, I finally used it! We just got the first batch of cream for the season and even though I should have made butter... I decided to try out ice cream instead.

I searched around for a basic vanilla ice cream recipe, something simple to start me out with... but it was hard to find a recipe without egg whites in it. I just wanted simple! Anyhow, this is what I finally ended up with and it ended up perfectly delicious:

2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4c sugar

Mix ingredients together and add to ice cream maker according to the instructions of your specific maker. I mixed mine for about 20 minutes and then it was done.


I used organic raw cream, milk and sugar, but whatever you've got will work. I really did try to do this without an ice cream maker, but I don't think it's possible without some real challenges.

I look forward to making lots of delicious ice cream flavors this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment