Friday, March 23, 2012

Things to come

I was going to write last week but time slipped away from me, as it so very often does. I'm sorry. With the weather as nice as it has been, who wants to sit in front of a computer? Not me, that's for sure. I want to be outside hiking or daydreaming about things to come... because that is what spring does to me.

In spring, there is so much Possibility. You can start fresh with a garden if you didn't get around to it last year (of just failed altogether to maintain one). You can clean things off and fix things up. You can spread your wings and step outside when you feel stifled and cramped by being in doors.

You can hang your clothes on the line.
You can build a bonfire when the sun goes down and have quality time with family and friends.
You can take a walk with your family and find creatures doing their spring time stuff (even if they are a little confused about the early onset of record breaking unseasonably warm weather).
I'm not going to lie, the warm weather might be freaking me out a bit, but it certainly is enjoyable and rejuvenating. And of course, it's got me thinking.

I am thinking about my kids and what will come next for them. My oldest is getting ready to go to high school next year and we have been trying to figure out where the best place for him to go might be. I am trying to help him find ways outside of school to pursue the things that he really wants to do, specifically theater and film work. This is a whole new realm in parenting that seemed to happen so quickly, even if I have had almost 15 years to prepare for it. While some of my friends are just starting to have kids and just trying to figure out where to send there little ones to preschool, I'm in uncharted territory over here... but luckily I am finding new friendships in some of the co-parents that I've known for so many years, but just never really connected with like I can now. Now we can relate as we navigate the teenage years together. New friendships are great and definitely contribute to personal growth - I highly recommend it.

I am thinking about myself too. I am ready to get back into shape and the warm weather is my best friend since I refuse to spend money on a gym. I take a walk everyday now, and sometime even get to squeeze in a hike - this morning I hiked up Monument Mountain with a friend and laid in the sun on the rocks at the top. (So if you see me limping tomorrow, it's because my legs will be mad at me!)
I am thinking about my own schooling and where it might lead me. I am loving doing art, and surprised when I find satisfaction in forms of art that I haven't touched in 15-20 years of my life.

And of course I am continuing with my "get rid of stuff day" every Friday. We are making some dents - you'd think they were big dents if you saw what I have hauled out of here... but inside our home, it doesn't even feel like we've scraped the surface. I have donated, sold, passed on and straight up thrown out bags upon bags of "stuff". Some of it was good quality stuff too, things we've had since my oldest was a baby, sweet sentimental things... but in the end, I would rather have someone else enjoy these things and give them more life than to have them sit around unused in our overfilled home.

Well, that is enough computer use for me - I've got to hang more laundry and do some of my homework. As long as it's not raining and I'm not at work, you can find me outside in the sun!



No comments:

Post a Comment