Thursday, July 7, 2011

Thoughtful Thursday Links

Ah, so much to say... where do I start? I think I'll just dive in, ready?

Today we will be taking our trash out for the first time in over a month. Honestly, I think we could wait even longer, but it's time for us to have a clean slate again. Funny thing is that one of the most frequent pieces of trash that we have are stickers from our fruits and vegetables. I think it is time to find something creative to do with those little suckers.

We discovered a pleasant surprise in our yard: a ton of wild raspberries growing in a few different locations.

At first, we weren't sure what they were and weather or not they were safe. And then one day my oldest mentioned eating them in passing and I asked him how he knew they were safe. He told me that he eats some at camp and that they were wild raspberries. I went online to looked them up and find out more and I came across this blog that helped explain it to me.

Since then, they have been fair game and we've been eating a lot. Super score.




The little guy helped me with my second batch of granola today. This time we made a lot because I was feeling more confident... plus, we needed a little extra for the week ahead.




My kids now eat granola instead of cereal, since the only way we can buy cereal is in a plastic bag or a box with a plastic bag inside. I would love to find some plan old "o"s in bulk. That would make my kids very happy.

But luckily, they like granola.







This was a sweet article that talks about how they are planting sunflowers all over in Japan to help clean the radioactive soil.

Since I am in the ocean mindset, this article made me think about what our oceans will look like in 50 years if we don't make some serious changes.

And since I am exhausted, I am going to leave you with this last thought.
I have been coming across something interesting this past week - challenges for wasting less. At work, a customer asked us if we were a part of TerraCycle. I looked into it and I was a little confused. It seemed like there was a big push for sending them as much trash as you can, but to do that would mean that you have to purchase the trash in the first place. So, to contribute to this challenge, I would have to waste more.
Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of trash being turned into something cool or useful even, instead of ending up in a landfill being a total waste.
But I don't want to buy the things that contribute to this in the first place, so I might just check in with them regularly and see what kind of things they are doing.

I won't be able to post for a while but check back in with me in about a week or so because I should have plenty of interesting experiences to share with you regarding reducing waste. See ya then!

No comments:

Post a Comment