Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I need a new cell phone

... and I am not happy about it.

I admit it: I use an iph0ne and I'm pretty into it. I like how I can do some things on it that can help save resources, like using the note pad app when I have a thought, instead of using real paper. One of my favorite things about it is the ability to take photos and instantly transfer them to a source that makes them usable.

But I am not into the idea of the production and the over production of any product like the iph0ne. Yet, I still want a new one. How lame is that?

Over the past few weeks or so, my phone has been dying a lot. Not just the run out of battery kind of dying but the white fuzzy screen with lines where all of the graphics get crazy on you first kind of dying. Or the frozen in vibrate mode kind of dying. The hot to the touch kind of dying. Dying.

I have been due for an upgrade for a super long time, mostly because I don't feel like an upgrade is ever needed unless you need a new phone when your old one dies. Sure, I was curious when the ih0ne4 came out and was a little tempted, but I knew there would be a point when my current phone would die because, well, all pieces of plastic technology seem to die much sooner than later these days.

And so, I am on the hunt for a new phone without buying a new phone. My first thought was to get the iph0ne4 refurb version. There is one available but it's a little too fancy for me - I truly have no need to hold 32GB worth of data on a phone. So I will have to keep checking back for a lesser version (and hopefully cheaper). The other thing that I checked out was craigslist, but I'm not sure how to tell what's legit and what isn't when it comes to tech stuff, so I don't feel comfortable buying one through that avenue.

I will also ask around and see if anyone might be retiring their iph0ne4 anytime soon, but I can't imagine that would be a successful pursuit. I think I'm stuck looking for a refurb and crossing my fingers that I can get a few more weeks out of my current phone.

Truth be told, I hate giving money to any corporation and I hope that someday there will be another way to take advantage of good technology without having to: 1. always buy the newest, most up to date version every freakin year and 2. put our hard earned cash into the hands of a giant corporation.

I do have hope though. Our cell phones and our netf1ix streaming are the last of our guilty money giving pleasures, not including insurance and electric and gas for our cars of course... but let's not go there. I'm talking about stuff that is not technically a necessity, but instead a convenience or pleasure.

And by the way, I do think it is ok to find pleasure in these things, but being conscious of them is so very important.
 



*While I was writing this, a friend came by and I told her about my cell phone dilemma. She told me about another cell phone company called Credo. I checked them out online and they look somewhat promising as a worth while alternative. I would love to hear from anyone who uses them and get more info. However, it doesn't seem that iph0nes can be used with them... so I would really have to think this one through guys.

5 comments:

  1. Are you really stuck on the iphone? I have a Samsung phone called the Evergreen (through AT&T) that's made from recycled plastic. It came in recycled paperboard packaging. I think with the 2 year contract it cost $25. It has a QWERTY keyboard, and while not as fancy as the iphone, it does everything I really need it to do: make calls and text. You can add a data plan for a few bucks more a month if you need to surf the internet or get email. IMO, the iphone is a nice-to-have. It's really a matter of thinking about what you really need (vs. want!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison,
    I am super interested in the idea of a phone made from recycled plastic - I had forgotten about this!
    However, the truth is that I am currently stuck on the iph0ne... but nothing is permanent. I had already found a refurb phone and taken the plunge before coming across this comment but I still stopped to think about it. In the end, I am going to go forward with it for now - partially because I want to treat myself.
    This is really helpful for anyone else looking for an eco-friendly alternative though... thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's important to give yourself some treats in life. Pick something that you enjoy and spend a little more on it. Life can't be all about deprivation! Good for you for going for it! (PS: for me, it's dinner out with girlfriends 3 times a month. Although, I think we might have to scale back a "star" in our restaurant choices because this month I'm way over budget!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The problem with today’s trend on smart phones is that they constantly change. Once you get caught in that cycle, there is no turning back. You will need heaps of self control not to upgrade your phone every time a new one is released. I bought a phone a couple of years ago, but tried my best not to succumb to the pressure. I waited a top-of-the-line smart phone became available before I replaced it. Remember that the important thing is that if you can use your phone for communication purposes, it will serve you well even though it’s outdated.

    Joanna Daniels

    ReplyDelete