Thursday, August 18, 2011

Thoughtful Thursday

It's been a long week, for many different reasons.

This morning was my first morning off since last Friday and I am taking total advantage of having time in my kitchen on this rainy day. I have already made coffee, breakfast, cream cheese, yogurt and granola. Well, the cream cheese wasn't very time consuming since I started it last night - however, this particular batch didn't yield as much as I'd like and I think it was because the yogurt wasn't very thick.

The yogurt making is a trial run. My sister in law gave me a yogurt maker (thanks!) and I have been avoiding it up until now. She told me that I had to follow all of the instructions, and that always scares me... mostly because I can never follow instructions exactly, I always tend to alter for some reason. But then I spoke with a friend that makes yogurt and she didn't do it the same way the instructions said, so I thought I would give it a shot this morning. Once done, I will let you all know how it went and what I did differently... if it works.

The granola was long overdue. My kids were starting to get a little tired of granola so I let it run out, but now they want more. And with the way the smell of it is penetrating the kitchen, we are all excited to eat more at the moment. I was also thinking of delivering some with fresh milk to a friend that recently had a baby... if she is ready for visitors tomorrow.

Breakfast was ok. I cooked up some eggs (in bacon grease that we save - mmmm!) with some feta cheese. I also decided to cook up some of those tomatillos on the side since I have been avoiding them too and I didn't want to see them go to waste. They were the just ok part of breakfast. I don't think they are my thing. I like tomatoes but I'm not a big pepper fan... and I feel like they are a cross between the two.
Oh well, if we don't try new things then we will never know what we are missing with some of the delicious and exotic stuff out there.


As for some links for the day, I don't have too much to share because, as you might have noticed, I've been avoiding a lot this week (due to the amount of other stuff I have been dealing with). All I've got for you is one more link to check out if you are thinking of spending money on back to school products for your kids - read it here and try to remember that we vote with our dollar, even when buying school supplies.

Lastly, I will leave you with a photo of my kids from when we took a hike on a rare non-rainy day this week:

No comments:

Post a Comment