Thursday, May 12, 2011

Mail

So I guess we haven't been very interested in our mail lately. I just went to my mailbox and there was a lot in it. Not as much as there could have been for close to a weeks worth of mail, but still too much.

So this is what I did.

I started by sorting junk from "important" mail. I weeded out the things that I see on a regular basis - in this case it was a sierra trading post catalog, an online shoes catalog and yet another offer from capital one to give me a credit card. I went to their websites and sent emails to them to tell them to stop sending me paper mail. Then, I put it into the recycling bin. Again.

I will continue to do this each week when I sort through the mail, and I want to encourage everyone to do the same. Wouldn't it be nice if eventually we only got the few pieces of mail that we really need and nothing else? The amount of energy, resources and money used in producing unwanted mail is mind boggling.

For more info about how to handle unwanted mail, go here.

1 comment:

  1. I do this as well and it works well. About 6 months ago, I applied this practice at work. We are a small office (5 people) so it's been easy to do.

    Any catalog that comes in the mail gets delivered to me and I call the 800 number to get us removed from their list. It has worked. We used to get about 3 catalogs a week and now we get about 1 every 2 weeks. Soon it will be zero!

    ReplyDelete